TOP News

Entertainment: The BBC allows the Crown to film Martin Bashir interview

Royal Family May ‘Boycott’ BBC Over William and Harry Briefing Allegations

  Royal Family May ‘Boycott’ BBC Over William and Harry Briefing Allegations If you love The Daily Beast’s royal coverage, then we hope you’ll enjoy The Royalist, a members-only series for Beast Inside. Become a member to get it in your inbox on Sunday. Royals go to war with BBC—again The queen, Prince Charles, and Prince William have threatened to launch a “tri-household boycott” of the BBC after it was revealed that the corporation is planning to screen a two-part documentary alleging that Prince Harry and Prince William briefed against each other at the height of their feud.

MailOnline logo © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo

The BBC is risking further fury from the royal family after allowing the Crown to film its depiction of the aftermath of the controversial Princess Diana interview with Martin Bashir at New Broadcasting House amid the fallout with the Firm over The Princes and the Press documentary.

The latest photos from the upcoming season of the Netflix drama show actor Richard Cordery, 71, dressed as Marmaduke Husssey, the former Chairman of the Board of Governors of the corporation.

Photos taken outside the BBC's headquarters show the actor in a navy suit and red tie. It's believed producers are filming a scene portraying events that followed Princess Diana's controversial Panorama interview with Martin Bashir in 1995.

Sudan’s civilian prime minister is back. Here’s why thousands are still protesting.

  Sudan’s civilian prime minister is back. Here’s why thousands are still protesting. Despite Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s release, there are still many unknowns for Sudan’s democratic transition.Hamdok, who has been under house arrest since late last month, made a televised address to the nation at the signing of an agreement between Hamdok’s civilian government and the military junta, headed by Lt. Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, to restore the transitional government put in place after the ouster of former dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019.

The scene is said to have recreated when Lord Hussey arrived during the fall-out from the programme in which Diana said: 'There were three of us in this marriage.'

The Crown's fifth series of the show will cover the royal family's history throughout the 1990s.  Lord Hussey, who lost a leg in the Second World War when he was just 21, was appointed BBC chairman in 1986 and served two full terms before stepping down in 1996.

Over the first four series of The Crown, the Netflix hit has become well known for bending facts to suit its narrative, and while some artistic licence is inevitable, some critics have been outraged in its rewriting of history and relationships.

MailOnline understands the filming consisted of a single shot of him walking into the building and then back out again - but nothing further inside.

Deadly bus inferno survivors fled through window

  Deadly bus inferno survivors fled through window At least 46 people, including 12 children, died when the vehicle caught fire on a Bulgarian motorway.Seven people escaped with burns from the bus, which was packed with tourists who were mostly Macedonian.

The filming took place six months after a report by Lord Dyson concluded the BBC covered up 'deceitful behaviour' used by Mr Bashir to secure the interview.

The BBC is claimed to have given formal permission for Netflix to film outside its offices, and it is understood The Crown will also dramatise Diana's interview itself.

A TV source told The Sun: 'It's unbelievable that in the middle of a major fight with William and the Royal Family over its documentary, the BBC would allow Netflix to film on their property.

'The BBC and Netflix are joining forces to do the one thing William doesn't want — dramatising the Panorama interview which is a part of his life he has said he does not wish to revisit.'

Kate to host Christmas carol concert on rival network after royal family's fury at BBC

  Kate to host Christmas carol concert on rival network after royal family's fury at BBC A Christmas carol concert hosted by the Duchess of Cambridge will air on a rival network instead of the BBC after the royal family's fury over a documentary. It will be the first time a member of the royal family has hosted such an event, it is believed. Kate is expected to be front and centre of the televised special, to be recorded at Westminster Abbey, which will air on ITV in December. READ MORE: William banned staff from leaking stories about family to the mediaIt was reportedly due to be shown on the BBC, which is the UK's national broadcaster, but the last-minute swap came amid controversy over the film The Princes and The Press.


Video: Spy chief's stark warning over China (Sky News)

In May, Lord Dyson's report into Diana's Panorama interview concluded Bashir was in 'serious breach' of the BBC's producer guidelines when he faked bank statements and showed them to Earl Spencer to gain access to the princess for the interview.

Earlier this month, Earl Spencer said he rejected The Crown's request to film at his family home of Althorp.

The forthcoming fifth series of the royal Netflix drama stars Elizabeth Debicki as his late sister, Diana, Princess of Wales.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast at his family estate in West Northamptonshire, Earl Spencer said he had declined when producers of The Crown asked to film on the site.

Mark Strong boards cast of Tar

  Mark Strong boards cast of Tar Mark Strong has joined Cate Blanchett is the cast of the film 'Tar'.The 58-year-old actor has boarded the picture along with Nina Hoss, Noemie Merlant, Sophie Kauer, Julian Glover and Sylvia Flote.

He said: 'They applied. They wanted to shoot here. But I don't really do that stuff. Actually, to be honest, I don't watch The Crown so I just said: 'Thank you but no thank you.'

Last month it was reported Earl Spencer could bring a private prosecution over the Bashir scandal after the Metropolitan Police said it had found no evidence of criminality.

And the revelation over filming at New Broadcasting House comes a fortnight after it emerged The Crown's producers filmed the controversial Diana revenge dress scene only 800 yards from Prince William's bedroom at Kensington Palace

The revelation over filming at New Broadcasting House (pictured) comes a fortnight after it emerged The Crown's producers filmed the controversial Diana revenge dress scene only 800 yards from Prince William's bedroom at Kensington Palace © Provided by Daily Mail The revelation over filming at New Broadcasting House (pictured) comes a fortnight after it emerged The Crown's producers filmed the controversial Diana revenge dress scene only 800 yards from Prince William's bedroom at Kensington Palace Richard Cordery is pictured as Lord Hussey filming scenes at New Broadcasting House © Provided by Daily Mail Richard Cordery is pictured as Lord Hussey filming scenes at New Broadcasting House

The Netflix series recreated the evening Diana stepped out in an off the shoulder, tight black dress in a break with royal protocol after Prince Charles admitted to adultery on TV.

The scene was filmed in the same spot in Kensington Gardens that Diana arrived at a dinner at the Serpentine Gallery in 1994 - a position that can almost be viewed from Prince William's bedroom.

Dozens test positive on SA-Netherlands flights

  Dozens test positive on SA-Netherlands flights The results are being examined for cases of the new Omicron variant emerging in southern Africa.They have been placed in isolation at a hotel near Schiphol airport.

Also earlier this month, royal expert Penny Junor said the makers of The Crown had stuck up 'two fingers' at the Royal Family by casting the stepdaughter of IRA supporter Roy Greenslade in the role of Countess Mountbatten.

Ms Junor said Natascha McElhone, 51, was not responsible for the 'sins of her stepfather'. But she said another actress should have been considered because of the role's sensitive nature.

Former Fleet Street editor and Guardian columnist Mr Greenslade, who edited the Daily Mirror and held a top job at The Sun, revealed his support for the IRA earlier this year.

Baron Hussey was a staunch royalist and it's believed he left the corporation after falling out with Director General John Birt over his management style and Panorama's controversial interview.

He asked BBC governors to condemn the interview and attempted to force the immediate resignation of John Birt. He resigned two months later writing in his memoir that the incident had 'darkened my last months at the BBC

His wife, Lady Susan Hussey, is a woman of the bedchamber to the Queen and also a godmother to Prince William.

Row over royal documentary could see 'a withdrawal of co-operation' during Queen's Platinum Jubilee

  Row over royal documentary could see 'a withdrawal of co-operation' during Queen's Platinum Jubilee Television coverage of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee could suffer due to a controversial documentary about the royal family airing on the BBC. The second part of the film, The Princes and The Press, will go to air later today in the UK. It's first episode claimed the office of Prince William briefed members of the media about Prince Harry and Meghan, which the palace has strongly denied. READ MORE: Palace dismisses claims Prince Charles asked about Archie's skin colour as 'fiction' © AP Photo/Frank Augstein Television coverage of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022 could suffer due to a row between the royals and the national broadcaster.

Did BBC tone down Harry and Meghan documentary?

The BBC last night appeared to back down on claims that Buckingham Palace briefed against Harry and Meghan after being accused of peddling 'overblown and unfounded' allegations.

A BBC Two documentary examining the relationship between the royal households and the media also stepped back from suggestions that William allowed aides to brief about his brother's mental health – which was categorically denied by, and deeply offended many in, the royal household.

BBC journalist Amol Rajan in a publicity photograph for The Princes and The Press © Provided by Daily Mail BBC journalist Amol Rajan in a publicity photograph for The Princes and The Press

The two-part documentary series, fronted by BBC journalist Amol Rajan, had already drawn unprecedented censure from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace.

The royal households believe it contains a slew of unsubstantiated and categorically inaccurate accusations about collusion with the media, particularly in connection with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during the tumultuous period of their decision to quit royal duties, dubbed 'Megxit'.

The households' lawyers had been preparing to examine the final programme with a fine-tooth comb and had not ruled out a formal complaint. But last night's prime-time offering had seemingly been watered-down at the 11th hour, with editing going on up until the last minute. Plans for an accompanying podcast have also been postponed by the BBC.

Read more

Top Sudan general sees 'positive' signs coup sanctions will be lifted .
Sudan's top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said Saturday there are "positive indicators" that measures taken against his country following an October military takeover could soon be lifted. The top general has long insisted the military's move on October 25 "was not a coup" but a step "to rectify the transition".Burhan -- Sudan's de facto leader since the ouster of president Omar al-Bashir in April 2019 -- removed the civilian government and declared a state of emergency on October 25, in a move that upended a two-year transition to civilian rule.

See also