TOP News

Canada: Gunsmith's family launches lawsuit against Toronto police over shooting death

Oxford High School Tie: The alert signals that the establishment did not want to see

 Oxford High School Tie: The alert signals that the establishment did not want to see Ethan Crumbley, the high school student accused of having four students on November 30 in the United States had already brought the day before ammunition . An element that suggests that the establishment was aware of the threats but did not know how to protect students. © Carlos Osorio / AP / SIPA On November 30, Ethan Crumbley killed four students from his Oxford High School in Michigan . The 15-year-old teenager was quickly stopped by the police .

The family of a gunsmith shot and killed by Toronto police launched a lawsuit against the service Tuesday, alleging officers used excessive force and failed to serve a search warrant when they raided the man's home in southwestern Ontario late last year.

  Gunsmith's family launches lawsuit against Toronto police over shooting death © Provided by The Canadian Press

Relatives of Rodger Kotanko, 70, are seeking $23 million in damages in the wrongful death suit filed in Ontario Superior Court.

The province's police watchdog, the Special Investigations Unit, is investigating. It has said one officer shot and killed Kotanko on Nov. 3, 2021, in Port Dover, Ont.

A lawyer for Kotanko's family said the man's loved ones are "broken."

Officials sue NHL after allegedly being dismissed for reporting racist conduct

  Officials sue NHL after allegedly being dismissed for reporting racist conduct Two former NHL off-ice officials filed a wrongful dismissal lawsuit in the U.S. District Court, Tampa Division, on Monday, alleging they were fired by the league after reporting racist and sexist language from a colleague. The story was first reported by TSN’s Rick Westhead. David Walkowiak and James Watkins worked as off-ice officials during Tampa Bay Lightning games and were fired in February 2020, according to their lawsuit. They alleged thatThe story was first reported by TSN’s Rick Westhead.

"What happened to Rodger should never have happened," said Michael Smitiuch. "Unfortunately, Rodger was killed during the raid, so he can't defend himself, but the family will do that and they will defend his reputation."

Toronto police declined to comment, citing the lawsuit and the active SIU investigation.

The family said Kotanko was a renowned gunsmith whose clients came from all walks of life and included local police officers and soldiers. They said he was a licensed gunsmith with a squeaky clean record who was inspected often.

Smitiuch, the family's lawyer, said police became interested in Kotanko after examining two guns seized by officers in different parts of the province.

He said police in North Bay, Ont., seized one gun in a traffic stop as officers searched for alleged kidnappers and Toronto officers found another gun after a young person crashed a car in Toronto, according to the search warrant the family recently obtained.

Official: Alec Baldwin surrenders phone for shooting probe

  Official: Alec Baldwin surrenders phone for shooting probe SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Alec Baldwin has surrendered his cellphone to authorities as part of the investigation into a fatal shooting on a New Mexico film set last fall, a law enforcement official said. Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office spokesman Juan Rios said Baldwin's phone was turned over Friday to law enforcement officials in Suffolk County, New York, who will gather the information from the phone and provide it to Santa Fe County investigators, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported. Sheriff's office investigators in December obtained a search warrant for the phone's contents in their investigation into the Oct.

Police alleged in the search warrant, otherwise known as the information to obtain, that the serial numbers of both guns were "professionally removed."

Police were able to restore the numbers and traced them back to Kotanko's business, Smituiuch said, although he noted that Kotanko's skills were superior.


Video: Today in History for January 8th (The Canadian Press)

"Rodger had the skills and the expertise to ensure that the serial numbers disappeared if he wanted to," Smitiuch said.

The family remains devastated, he said.

"Rodger was a skilled gunsmith, who took great pride in his profession and treating customers fairly and honestly," said Kotanko's sister, Suzanne Kantor, in a statement.

"The alleged grounds for obtaining the search warrant are not in keeping with who Rodger was and how he conducted his life."

The Kotanko family alleged in the suit that Toronto police sent a team to Port Dover on the morning of Nov. 3, 2021, along with an ambulance. The team set up nearby and began surveilling Kotanko's home.

Teen injured but stable after shooting in Montreal apartment, police say

  Teen injured but stable after shooting in Montreal apartment, police say Montreal police say they are investigating after a 14-year-old was shot and injured inside an apartment on Saturday night. They say they received a call around 6 p.m. about gunshots in the city's Ville-Marie borough. Police say the teen was taken to hospital for lower-body injuries, but his condition is now stable. Spokeswoman Caroline Chèvrefils says investigators established the shooting happened inside an apartment after meeting with the teen today.

Kotanko left in the morning with his wife, Xueqin Mai, and returned at 12 p.m., the lawsuit said.

An unknown customer was waiting for Kotanko at the time, the suit said. The pair went into Kotanko's workshop in a shed on his property while his wife went inside their home.

Then Mai was "suddenly and without warning confronted by armed members of the Toronto police," the claim said, "and detained and restrained."

The officers did not show her, or any family members, the search warrant, the claim alleges.

"After the officers restrained and detained Xueqin Mai, they suddenly and without warning confronted and attacked Rodger while he was in the workshop with the alleged customer," the claim alleges.

"The defendant, Officer John Doe #1, shot Rodger four times with his firearm and severely injured and immobilized Rodger."

The claim alleges police would not allow Mai "to provide comfort, solace or care to Rodger in the final moments of his life as he was taken from the workshop to an ambulance."

"The family is, frankly, shocked how this went down," Smitiuch said.

"Rodger was a peaceful fellow and they simply could have reached out to him and he would have opened up the doors to his shop and welcomed him like he had with so many other officers before."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 18, 2022.

Liam Casey, The Canadian Press

Giovinco back training with Toronto FC but future with club still up in the air .
Former MLS MVP Sebastian Giovinco wants to end his career with Toronto FC, taking the first step on a possible return Thursday at the MLS club's pre-season camp in California. Giovinco, who turned 35 on Wednesday, trained with the team for the first time since leaving in January 2019 over a salary dispute. Without a contract for the present, it's now about seeing if Giovinco and Bob Bradley, TFC's new coach and sporting director, think it's aGiovinco, who turned 35 on Wednesday, trained with the team for the first time since leaving in January 2019 over a salary dispute. Without a contract for the present, it's now about seeing if Giovinco and Bob Bradley, TFC's new coach and sporting director, think it's a good fit.

See also