Canada: Nova Scotia man pleads not guilty in sexual assault of Carrie Low: prosecution

Nova Scotia reducing wait times for gender-affirming surgery

  Nova Scotia reducing wait times for gender-affirming surgery A change aimed at reducing gender-affirming surgery wait times in Nova Scotia comes after several months of lobbying by LGBTQ2SA+ community members and care providers.Effective Wednesday, those seeking gender-affirming surgery will no longer need to include letters of support from a Nova Scotia specialist and another specialist confirming post-operative care if the surgery was taking place in the province, in their surgery applications.

HALIFAX — A Halifax man charged in a high-profile 2018 sexual assault case is pleading not guilty, and his trial dates have been set for next year.

  Nova Scotia man pleads not guilty in sexual assault of Carrie Low: prosecution © Provided by The Canadian Press

The prosecution service said in an email that Brent Alexander Julien entered his plea in Dartmouth provincial court today, and his trial is set to begin March 7.

Carrie Low has alleged two men confined and raped her on the outskirts of Halifax on May 18, 2018, as she drifted in and out of consciousness.

Low — who sought and received a court order permitting the use of her name — has also alleged that police mishandled key evidence in her case, and has pursued a lawsuit against police and a police complaints process.

How a woman found she was a person of interest in Nova Scotia government files

  How a woman found she was a person of interest in Nova Scotia government files Nicole Gnazdowsky was labeled a 'person of interest' in a security file after she ran into ex-premier Iain Rankin at a park in 2021. Files show Rankin said her tone was aggressive.Nicole Gnazdowsky used the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Act to access files from an incident with former Liberal premier, and the MLA for her area, Iain Rankin.

The sexual assault charge against Julien is the second criminal prosecution in the four year-old case.

Last year, Halifax police charged Alexander Thomas of East Preston, N.S., but before his trial began Thomas was found dead in what police said was a homicide.


Video: Hockey Canada has paid out $7.6M in sexual abuse settlements since 1989 (cbc.ca)

Low has said there was an improper "pattern of conduct'' by the Halifax police and the RCMP in the investigation of her case.

Among a number of alleged policing failures, she has said members of their joint sexual assault investigation team didn't visit the scene and were slow to have her clothing and blood tests processed.

She has alleged that when she inquired about her rape kit in March of 2019 — 10 months after the alleged assault — she learned it hadn't been processed. She also has said she received confusing and contradictory messages on the progress of her case from various officers on the sexual assault investigation team.

Lucki, Blair tell Commons committee they didn't meddle in N.S. shooting probe

  Lucki, Blair tell Commons committee they didn't meddle in N.S. shooting probe Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair and RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki told a House of Commons committee Monday that they did not interfere in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police investigation into the 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia."Let me begin, and let me be clear. I did not interfere in the investigation around this tragedy," Lucki told members of the House of Commons public safety and national security committee.

Low fought before the courts to have her allegations examined by the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner, after her complaint was initially dropped for being submitted too late. The refusal to hear her case was overturned by the Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

Thomas's defence lawyer, Mark Bailey, had been planning to call pretrial testimony from the initial RCMP investigator, who he anticipated would allege police conduct was so flawed that his client's constitutional right to a fair trial had been breached.

In an interview earlier this year, Low said she was hopeful there was a strong case against Julien but also was concerned that the second criminal process would be protracted and create further delays in dealing with her complaints of improper police conduct.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 29, 2022.

Michael Tutton, The Canadian Press

Kevin Spacey to Pay 'House of Cards' Producers $30 Million After Scandal .
Kevin Spacey to Pay 'House of Cards' Producers $30 Million After ScandalLos Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Recana ordered the actor, 63, to pay $29.5 million in damages to the MRC company and an additional $1.5 million in attorney’s fees and costs after hearing oral arguments on Thursday, August 4, per The Hollywood Reporter. Spacey had previously bid to overturn the arbitration award after an arbitrator found in November 2021 that the New Jersey native breached his contract by allegedly violating anti-harassment policies and failing to act “in a professional manner.

See also