A Spanish prosecutor is reportedly set to seek a maximum of 8 years in prison and a $23 million fine against superstar singer Shakira for tax evasion, according to documents seen by Reuters.
The three-time Grammy winner is accused of not paying nearly $15 million taxes from 2012-2014. The superstar says she has already paid about $17.5 million to the Spanish tax office to settle her obligation. Yet in July of last year, a judge ruled that there was enough “evidence of criminality” for the singer, who is the star and EP of NBC’s Dancing With Myself reality competition, to be tried.
More from Deadline
- San Sebastian To Honor David Cronenberg With Donostia Award
- 'Dancing With Myself': Shaquille O'Neal & Liza Koshy Join Shakira As Series Creators; Camille Kostek To Host
- 'The Boys' Actor Antony Starr Arrested For Assault In Spain While Shooting Guy Ritchie Film There
While Shakira is Columbian, the prosecutor’s office alleges she was “ordinarily resident in Spain between 2012 and 2014 and in May 2012 bought a house in Barcelona.” That home, officials contend, was for not just the singer, but husband Gerard Pique, who plays for FC Barcelona, and their son, who was born in Spain in 2013. The duo announced they were separating last month.
Chuck Schumer, Joe Manchin Announce Agreement On Tax And Climate Bill; Legislation Includes 15% Corporate Minimum Tax
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said that they have reached a deal on a massive bill that includes climate and energy initiatives as well as a 15% corporate minimum tax. The agreement surprised reporters, as Manchin several weeks ago indicated that he would not support key aspects of Joe Biden’s agenda, including climate programs, because of concerns of inflation.
A statement from the superstar’s representatives to the BBC contends she is “fully confident of her innocence” and views the case as a “violation of her rights.” She reportedly recently rejected a settlement offer from prosecutors.
No date has yet been set for a trial.
Best of Deadline
- 'House Of The Dragon' World Premiere Red Carpet Photos
- Norman Lear At 100: His Life And Career In 100 Photos
- 2022-23 Awards Season Calendar - Dates For The Oscars, Emmys, Grammys, Guilds, Festivals & More
Click here to read the full article.