TOP News

Sports: Canadiens Notebook: Corey Perry signs two-year deal with Lightning

Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft

  Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft The Canadiens have submitted their protected list for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft to the NHL and Carey Price is not on it. General manager Marc Bergevin had the option of protecting seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie or eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goalie. He went with the first option and protected goalie Jake Allen instead of Price. The NHL released the expansion draft protected lists on Sunday morning. Price, 33, has five seasons remaining on his eight-year, US$84-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of $10.5 million.

Corey Perry won’t be back with the Canadiens next season.

a close up of a man wearing a hat: Corey Perry posted 9-12-21 totals in 49 regular-season games last season with the Canadiens and added 4-6-10 totals in 22 playoff games. © Provided by The Gazette Corey Perry posted 9-12-21 totals in 49 regular-season games last season with the Canadiens and added 4-6-10 totals in 22 playoff games.

The free-agent forward signed a two-year, US$2-million contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday.

Last season, the 36-year-old right-winger posted 9-12-21 totals in 49 regular-season games and added 4-6-10 totals in 22 playoff games as the Canadiens advanced to the Stanley Cup final before losing to the Lightning. Perry earned US$750,000 with the Canadiens after signing a one-year contract as a free agent.

Logan Mailloux was surprised Canadiens decided to draft him

  Logan Mailloux was surprised Canadiens decided to draft him The morning after being unexpectedly selected by the Canadiens in the first round of the NHL Draft, Logan Mailloux spoke with the media on a Zoom conference Saturday. The 18-year-old defenceman with the London Knights had asked that no NHL teams draft him this year after he had shown teammates a photo of himself engaged in a sexual act with an 18-year-old woman last year while playing for SK Lejon in Sweden. Mailloux was 17 at the time and the photo was taken without the woman’s consent. Mailloux was ultimately charged with defamation and offensive photography in Sweden and was fined approximately US$1,650.

Perry has advanced to the Stanley Cup final in each of the last two seasons after also doing it with the Dallas Stars in 2020. He won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007.

“We are excited to add Corey today, who brings with him a wealth of big-game experience to the Lightning,” Tampa Bay GM Julien BriseBois said. “He will be an excellent addition to the lineup and we are thrilled to add another high-character player to our group who can contribute to the organization’s overall depth.”

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had said he was hoping to re-sign Perry, who became a key player and a leader on the team last season, and Perry had said that he would like to return to Montreal.

“Yes, I intend to play hockey next year,” Perry said during his exit interview after the Canadiens lost to the Lightning. “I think there’s still a lot of good hockey left in me and I would love to come back here and experience Montreal for being Montreal. It was a weird year, the family not being here and all that.

Four of Canadiens' nine picks at NHL Draft are from the QMJHL

  Four of Canadiens' nine picks at NHL Draft are from the QMJHL After selecting only two players from the QMJHL in the previous five NHL Drafts, the Canadiens picked four of them on Saturday. The Canadiens had nine picks overall at this year’s draft. The Canadiens picked Riley Kidney, a centre with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the second round; William Trudeau, a defenceman with the Charlottetown Islanders in the fourth round; Joshua Roy, a right-winger with the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the fifth round; and Xavier Simoneau, a centre with Charlottetown in the sixth round. “They fell into place,” Canadiens assistant GM Trevor Timmins said when asked why the team drafted so many players from the Quebec junior league.

“One of my first interviews when I signed here in Montreal (I said) that this was a team I grew up cheering for,” Perry added. “It’s blown everything out of the water. It’s been a lot of fun, it’s been not the easiest season with the family not being here and all that, but hopefully I get to experience what Montreal is and have all those fans back at the Bell Centre next year.”

A two-year contract and a chance to win another Stanley Cup with a team that has won it in each of the last two seasons was obviously too good of an offer for Perry to pass up on and the next time he plays at the Bell Centre he will be wearing a Lightning jersey.

Danault happy to be in L.A.

Former Canadien Phillip Danault says he’s “really pumped” to be in Los Angeles after signing a six-year, US$33-million contract with the Kings Wednesday as a free agent.

Sponsors for Canadiens pushing back against Logan Mailloux draft pick

  Sponsors for Canadiens pushing back against Logan Mailloux draft pick Montreal Canadiens' sponsors are pushing back as the team continues to face backlash in the wake of its controversial decision to select a player who was charged with a sex crime.Some of the team's biggest sponsors are now speaking out, expressing their discomfort with the move to draft the 18-year-old Ontario native who was charged with defamation and the distribution of non-consensual offensive photography last year after taking and sharing a photo of himself and an 18-year-old girl engaged in a sexual act.

There were reports last season that Danault had turned down a six-year, $30-million offer from the Canadiens last September. But Stéphane Fiset, one of Danault’s agents with Newport Sports, told Tony Marinaro on The Sick Podcast on Wednesday that the offer from the Canadiens was a five-year, $25-million deal.

Fiset added that a counter-offer was made to the Canadiens but that Bergevin never responded to it so Danault decided to play out last season and test the free-agent market. Fiset said Danault was hoping the Canadiens would make another offer before the free-agent market opened at noon Wednesday, but it didn’t happen. Fiset didn’t want to go into details about what the counter-offer was, but added that Bergevin didn’t want to pay more than $5 million a season for Danault.

Danault’s new deal works out to $5.5 million per season.

Last season Danault had 5-19-24 totals in 53 regular-season games and 1-3-4 totals in 22 playoff games. He played a key role in the Canadiens advancing to the Stanley Cup final by shutting down the top offensive players in series wins over the Toronto Maple Leafs, Winnipeg Jets and Vegas Golden Knights.

Sponsors, Trudeau criticize Canadiens over Mailloux draft pick

  Sponsors, Trudeau criticize Canadiens over Mailloux draft pick Pressure is growing on the Montreal Canadiens over their controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, with at least two other Quebec companies saying they’re unhappy with team’s choice. After St-Hubert BBQ said it’s weighing whether to stop advertising with the team , Groupe Jean-Coutu and Desjardins Group said they have contacted the Canadiens to express their displeasure with the team’s decision to draft Mailloux. La Cage Brasserie Sportive said they too were uncomfortable with the draft decision.

Danault said the Kings showed belief in both his defensive and offensive abilities and that they really valued him as a player. Danault also noted that with the Canadiens he never played on the power play and took most of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He won 52.5 per cent of his total faceoffs last season.

In Los Angeles, Danault will be the second-line centre behind Anze Kopitar, a two-time winner of the Frank Selke Trophy as the best defensive forward in the NHL. Last season Kopitar had 13-37-50 totals in 56 games.

“He’s a really good model for me and I can release a little bit of pressure off his shoulder in checking some big lines and big players every night so he can focus more on his skill asset, offence,” Danault said.

While Danault was disappointed the Canadiens never made him another contract offer, he said he understands it’s part of the business and added that his time in Montreal was “awesome” and that he and his family were treated well.

“It was special to be a Montreal Canadien,” he said. “It was a great experience, but I’m really excited to be in L.A. and turn a new chapter in my career and see more what I have more as a potential to create offence. New chapter.”

Danault plans to go to Los Angeles soon with his wife and their young son to start looking at houses.

'We failed': Molson apologizes to fans, but Habs stick by Mailloux

  'We failed': Molson apologizes to fans, but Habs stick by Mailloux Despite a firestorm of criticism this week from sponsors, women’s groups, media columnists and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the Montreal Canadiens have defended their controversial decision to draft defenceman Logan Mailloux . After remaining silent amid the backlash, team owner and president Geoff Molson publicly apologized Wednesday to anyone hurt by the decision. He also pledged to work with Mailloux to prepare him for a career in the NHL. “We gave Logan a second chance but in doing so, we failed to properly assess the impact of our decision on the victim and on anyone who has suffered in similar circumstances,” Molson said in a statement released by the team.

Bergevin thanks Danault

When Bergevin was asked Wednesday about Danault signing with the Kings he said he respected the player’s decision.

“It’s well known we made an offer — a pretty good offer I believe it was last September — and Phil decided to play out his last year of his contract and he hit the market and that’s his right, that’s his choice and I respect that,” Bergevin said. “He made a decision and we want to thank him for what he’s done for the Montreal Canadiens and wish him all the best in Los Angeles.”

More former Habs sign new deals

Perry and Danault aren’t the only former Canadiens to find a new home or sign a new contract since the NHL free-agent period started Wednesday.

Here’s a look at some other former Canadiens who have signed new deals:

Jon Merrill: The 29-year-old defenceman signed a one-year, $850,000 contract with the Minnesota Wild. He had no points and was minus-11 in 13 regular-season games with the Canadiens after being acquired from the Detroit Red Wings last season in exchange for Hayden Verbeek and a fifth-round pick at this year’s NHL Draft. He also had no points in 13 playoff games and was minus-4.

Charlie Lindgren: The 27-year-old goalie signed a one-year, $750,000 contract with the St. Louis Blues. He spent all of last season on the Canadiens’ taxi squad and didn’t play any games for them. He did play three games for the AHL’s Laval Rocket, posting a 2-1 record with a 2.34 goals-against average and a .887 save percentage.

St-Hubert will maintain partnership with Canadiens despite Mailloux scandal

  St-Hubert will maintain partnership with Canadiens despite Mailloux scandal After saying it was evaluating whether to continue its partnership with the team following its controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, Groupe St-Hubert says it will not cut ties with the Montreal Canadiens. In a statement issued Thursday, the company said it’s had discussions with the organization in recent days and has decided to continue its “long-standing association with the club.” Specifically, the restaurant chain said it appreciated team owner Geoff Molson “taking responsibility” and publicly apologizing this week to anyone hurt by the decision.

Nate Thompson: The 36-year-old centre, who played for the Canadiens in 2018-19 and 2019-20, signed a one-year, $800,000 deal with the Philadelphia Flyers. He had 2-3-5 totals in 44 regular-season games and 0-2-2 totals in eight playoff games last season with the Winnipeg Jets. The Canadiens traded Thompson to the Flyers on Feb. 24, 2020 in exchange for a fifth-round pick at this year’s NHL Draft that was used to select Russian defenceman Daniil Sobolev. Thompson signed with the Jets as a free agent before the start of last season.

Jaroslav Halak : The 36-year-old goalie, who spent four seasons with the Canadiens starting in 2006-07, signed a one-year, $1.5-million contract with the Vancouver Canucks. Halak spent the last three seasons with the Boston Bruins and had a 9-6-4 record with a 2.53 GAA and a .905 save percentage last season.

Jarred Tinordi: The 29-year-old defenceman who was the Canadiens’ first-round pick (22nd overall) at the 2010 NHL Draft, signed a two-year, $1.8-million contract with the New York Rangers. Last season he had 0-1-1 totals in 21 games split between the Nashville Predators and the Bruins.

Charles Hudon: The 27-year-old left-winger, who spent five seasons with the Canadiens starting in 2015-16, signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Lightning that will pay him $750,000 in the NHL and $250,000 in the AHL. Last season he had 15-17-32 totals in 33 games with Lausanne HC in the Swiss-A league.

Mike McCarron: The 26-year-old right-winger, who was the Canadiens’ first-round pick (25th overall) in 2013, signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Predators that will pay him $750,000 in the NHL and $350,000 in the AHL. Last season he had no points in six games with the Predators and 10-3-13 totals in 27 games with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals.

Brian Flynn: The 33-year-old centre, who played three seasons with the Canadiens starting in 2014-15, signed a one-year, two-way contract with the New Jersey Devils that will pay him $750,000 in the NHL and $280,000 in the AHL. Last season he had 9-25-34 totals in 50 games with Ambri-Piotta in the Swiss-A League.

[email protected]

twitter.com/StuCowan1

Related

Canadiens assistant coach Alex Burrows gets three-year deal .
Canadiens assistant coach Alex Burrows has received a three-year contract, which runs through the 2023-24 season. Burrows, 40, joined the Canadiens coaching staff on Feb. 24 when Dominique Ducharme was appointed as the team’s interim head coach to replace Claude Julien. He took over Kirk Muller’s duties in directing the forwards and the power play. The press release announcing the contract said Burrows was instrumental in helping the team qualify for the Stanley Cup final for the first time since 1993, but a closer look at the statistics indicates that he produced mixed results.

See also