Princess Diana violas against "Golden Rule" with the first Royal Christmas
Königshäuser have their own laws and rules - in the UK that is no different. As a new arrival you can have it hard. Princess Diana († 36) did not happen at the time. © Ian Gavan / Getty Images Princess Diana († 36) In the video above, we reveal you how the private Christmas parties of the Royals run. Your Browser Does Not Support This Video This also applies to Christmas: Unlike the island Usually, the mess at the Royals already takes place on Christmas Eve at 6pm.
Buckingham Palace resisted Sir Elton John's planned performance at Princess Diana's funeral, newly released government papers have suggested.
The star performed a reworked rendition of Candle In The Wind at the Westminster Abbey funeral, and the song quickly became one of the most memorable moments of the service.
However, papers released by the National Archives have apparently revealed there was resistance to the plan amid concerns that the rewritten lyrics by Sir Elton and his song writing partner Bernie Taupin were “too sentimental”.
READ MORE: Princess Diana's gift that broke 'golden rule' of Royal Family's Christmas
‘Candle in the Wind’ was not original choice to be sung by Elton John at Princess Diana’s funeral
'Your Song' - misspelled 'Our Song' - cropped up as a recommendation as preparations were madeThe singer’s solo performance of “Candle in the Wind”, the words to which had been rewritten as a personal tribute by Sir Elton to the princess, is widely regarded – alongside Earl Spencer’s excoriating eulogy to his sister – as a defining moment in the funeral at Westminster Abbey watched by billions around the globe.
According to the Press Association, the Dean of Westminster was forced to personally appeal to the palace to allow the singer to perform the tribute.
The Abbey even arranged for a young saxophonist to be put on standby to deliver a solo instrumental version of the song, although this was considered to be a “very second best shot”. © PA Elton John performing a rewritten version of his song 'Candle in the wind' as a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales, at her funeral
In the event the dean, the Very Rev Dr Wesley Carr, successfully argued that allowing Sir Elton to appear would be an “imaginative and generous” gesture to the public who had turned against the royal family in the days following the princess’s death.
Diana and her lover, Dodi Fayed – son of Harrods owner Mohamed Al-Fayed – died in a car crash in Paris on August 31 1997, prompting a huge outpouring of public grief.
Clergyman pleaded with Palace to let Elton John sing at Princess Diana's funeral
The Dean of Westminster said Sir Elton performing would be "popular culture at its best"The musician’s performance was one of the most memorable moments of the service for the Princess of Wales at her funeral on 6 September 1997.
In a note to a senior member of the royal household, Lieutenant Colonel Malcolm Ross, Dr Carr – who was involved in negotiations over the service between the Palace and Diana’s family – said it had captured the public mood.
“This is a crucial point in the service and we would urge boldness. It is where the unexpected happens and something of the modern world that the princess represented,” he wrote. © WireImage Prince William, Prince of Wales, with his sons Princes William and Harry looking at floral tributes left at Kensington Palace following the death of Diana, Princess of Wales in September, 1997
“I respectfully suggest that anything classical or choral (even a popular classic such as something by Lloyd Webber) is inappropriate.
“Better would be the enclosed song by Elton John (known to millions and his music was enjoyed by the princess), which would be powerful.
He wrote that the song "would be imaginative and generous to the millions who are feeling personally bereaved" describing it as "popular culture at its best."
The note, which was copied to No 10, is included in Downing Street files released by the National Archives, although there is no record of the reply.
Want more news like this straight to your inbox? Subscribe to MyLondon's FREE newsletters here.
Elton John 'so sorry' to cancel tour dates after COVID-19 diagnosis .
ELTON JOHN has made a statement telling his fans he is "so sorry" and "disappointed" to cancel his remaining live shows in Dallas, Texas, after being diagnosed with COVID.Elton wrote on his social media account: "Hi everyone, wanted to send a message to let you know that I have contracted COVID and so have had to reschedule my shows in Dallas. If you have tickets, you'll be contacted with the new dates really soon.