TOP News

Entertainment: Astroworld Performer SZA Says She's 'Speechless' After 8 People Died at Festival: 'Just Praying'

Travis Scott sought to uplift Houston. Did he let it down?

  Travis Scott sought to uplift Houston. Did he let it down? Houston's long-razed AstroWorld theme park brought joy to people from across the city. Decades later, Astroworld the festival is inextricably linked to heartbreak.“He was expecting something historical. I saw it on his face. It was just a sense of pride,” Rivon said.

Omar Vega/FilmMagic © Provided by People Omar Vega/FilmMagic

SZA is mourning the loss of eight attendees at Astroworld Festival Friday night.

On Saturday, the "Broken Clocks" songstress — who hit the Astroworld stage earlier in the evening — shared that she was "still in shock" after learning about the deaths of eight festivalgoers, including a 14-year-old who has not been identified publicly.

Other musicians, including Kehlani and Maren Morris, shared their condolences after the tragic incident © Omar Vega/FilmMagic Other musicians, including Kehlani and Maren Morris, shared their condolences after the tragic incident

"Speechless about last night I'm actually in shock n don't even know what to say," tweeted SZA, 31. "Just praying for everyone in Houston especially the families of those that lost their lives."

Travis Scott and Drake 'Found Out' About Astroworld Fatalities at Afterparty, Says Source

  Travis Scott and Drake 'Found Out' About Astroworld Fatalities at Afterparty, Says Source Eight people died at Astroworld Festival on Friday night in Houston"After performing, Drake went straight to his already planned party with his crew at Dave and Buster's. Travis then came to Drake's party after his performance," the source tells PEOPLE. "Neither were aware of the severity of what happened. They found out at the party about the fatalities and left right away.

RELATED: Everything We Know So Far About the 8 People Killed at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival

Also on Saturday, rapper Don Toliver, a Houston native who also performed at the festival, shared a short statement on his Instagram story.

"Praying for all those we lost and their loved ones," he wrote. "Houston 4ever."

Rap star Master P, who performed earlier in the day, also shared his condolences to the lives lost.

"I performed early in the day at AstroWorld but I was supposed to perform at night, because I had a show in Baltimore, he wrote on Instagram. "I heard what happened at the show, My condolences go out to the people who lost their lives. Man this was supposed to be a historical event."

Who Is Chris Sutton? 5 Things to Know About Bachelorette's Alleged 'Snake'

  Who Is Chris Sutton? 5 Things to Know About Bachelorette's Alleged 'Snake' Southern gentleman? Chris Sutton flew under the radar on The Bachelorette after his bus arrival during the season 18 premiere — but things appeared to change in November with one fellow housemate calling him a “snake.” The 28-year-old contestant pulled up on a yellow school bus during the show’s October premiere as a nod to Michelle Young’s job as a fifth-grade teacher. “Didn’t you ever learn bus safety? They tell you not to stick your head out the window,” Michelle, 28, joked as Chris S. arrived at the house. “I couldn’t help myself,” he replied. While Chris’ sweet arrival — he wore shorts and a backpack to fully embody being a schoolboy — earned him some points with Michelle, as the season continued, he started to make waves with some of the other men. “I want to say something, there are guys here that think they have it in the bag,” Chris said in a teaser for the November 9, episode. “I think that’s bull—t. They’re not showing you the effort that you deserve.” One man proceeded to call him a “snake” as clips of Chris smiling played in the background. Meanwhile, Nayte Olukoya claimed “there was no reason for any of this” and therefore chose to confront him. In the teaser, the two men have words, and as Nayte leans in toward Chris, he reacts by saying, “Are you going to put hands on me?” While Chris clearly rubbed some of the guys the wrong way, he appeared to think his actions are that of a knight in shining armor.

In a second post, he added, "Life is too short, tell your loved ones you love them when you walk out the door because you never know."

Meanwhile, performers Toro y Moi confirmed that they were "safe and sound" after they took the Astroworld stage around 3:30.

"Sending love to Houston," they wrote. "Thanks for having us, we hope to be back soon! Be safe out there everyone."

Other musicians also shared their reactions and condolences on social media.

"Heart goes out for the lives lost and all those affected by what took place in Houston. It's all so unimaginable and very sad. Prayers up," tweeted Trey Songz.

Sza/Instagram © Provided by People Sza/Instagram

"I have no words about what happened at astroworld. It's absolutely devastating," wrote Alison Wonderland. "All I can think about are the families & friends of the people who lost their lives at an event that is supposed to feel like a safe space."

Travis Scott's concerts have a history of rowdiness and injuries

  Travis Scott's concerts have a history of rowdiness and injuries Scott is hardly alone in the entertainment world in the way that he energizes crowds, but his style and history have taken on new focus after the mass casualty event at his music festival in Texas. At least eight people were killed and 300 were injured during Scott's Houston set last week as the crowd of about 50,000 surged toward the stage. Concertgoers were crowded and trampled in the chaos, and witnesses described gasping for air or giving CPR to victims who'd fallen unconscious.

Country star Maren Morris, a Texas native, wrote, "Thinking of those who lost loved ones in Houston last night. No one should fear going to a show and not coming back safely."

Meanwhile, Kehlani tweeted, "not enough prayers in the world for the families of these kids and the kids themselves. not enough. no compensation could amount. this should never ever ever in a million years happen."

RELATED: Travis Scott 'Absolutely Devastated' by Incident at Astroworld Festival That Left 8 People Dead

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner confirmed at a news conference on Saturday that eight people died in a mass casualty event at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival at NRG Park in Houston on Friday.

Among the dead are a 14-year-old, a 16-year-old, two 21-year-olds, two 23-year-olds and a 27-year-old. Another victim's age has not yet been identified. Turner said of the 25 people initially transported to the hospital, 13 remain hospitalized.

In an interview with CNN, concertgoer Billy Nasser said "people were just dying left and right." He said things "heated up" around 15 minutes after Scott began his performance "and just progressively got worse."

"People were getting trampled. They were losing their balance and then tripping over people on the floor," he told the outlet, adding that there was "shoving" in the crowd.

Headliner Travis Scott shared a statement on Twitter Saturday, saying his "prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival."

"Houston PD has my total support as they continue to look into the tragic loss of life," he wrote. "I am committed to working together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need."

Houston police say no need for outside probe of Astroworld deaths .
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said there was no need to hand over the criminal investigation to an outside agency.During a briefing at police headquarters in downtown Houston, Finner said he's scheduled to meet Friday with local FBI officials about the investigation, but "to be clear, HPD homicide is investigating this case. We’re taking the lead on it" and "those who need to be held accountable will be held accountable.

See also