Sport: 49ers waiting for 'desperate' team to trade for QB Jimmy Garoppolo?

49ers GM John Lynch can't 'foresee' releasing Jimmy Garoppolo

  49ers GM John Lynch can't 'foresee' releasing Jimmy Garoppolo Now, with the quarterback carousel mostly complete, Lynch admitted that the front office is holding still on the Garoppolo front until a trade materializes. The GM even noted that Garappolo could enter the season on the 49ers roster, and he rejected the notion that the organization would release the veteran QB.“I don’t foresee that,” Lynch said. “He’s too good a player. I think Jimmy will be playing for us or will be playing for someone else. He’s too good of a player not to be.”Naturally, this wasn’t the intended plan after the 49ers gave up a boatload of picks to draft Trey Lance during last year’s draft.

Nothing has officially changed as it pertains to the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback situation less than three full weeks before the NFL Draft opens on April 28. Veteran Jimmy Garoppolo remains on the roster, and he is still recovering from surgery to repair a torn capsule in his throwing shoulder even though releasing him would reportedly save the club roughly $25 million in cap space at a time when 2021 rookie Trey Lance is waiting to become San Francisco's QB1.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo's future remains murky. © Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo's future remains murky.

49ers general manager John Lynch somewhat defiantly said at the league's annual meetings in late March he doesn't "foresee" releasing Garoppolo, and franchise CEO Jed York suggested he's open to keeping the 30-year-old as a high-priced backup option. The Athletic’s Tim Kawakami later wrote he believed there is a "97% chance" Garoppolo won't be on the roster when training camp sessions begin.

49ers CEO Jed York open to keeping Jimmy Garoppolo even as a backup?

  49ers CEO Jed York open to keeping Jimmy Garoppolo even as a backup? It's unclear what kind of trade market exists for the 30-year-old who recently played in the NFC Championship Game but also likely won't be completing meaningful throwing exercises before June. At this point, Shanahan and company may ultimately elect to allow Garoppolo to compete with Lance even if the latter begins that process as the club's QB1. Subscribe to Yardbarker's Morning Bark, the most comprehensive newsletter in sports. Customize your email to get the latest news on your favorite sports, teams and schools. Emailed daily.

It appears Mike Sando of The Athletic has heard otherwise.

For a piece published on Friday, Sando explained that one NFL executive believes the 49ers are happy to wait things out regarding Garoppolo's future.

"Someone will get desperate," that unnamed individual said. "I’d even keep him through the season. Why get rid of a guy just to get rid of him to play the other guy if you know Jimmy has value? And Jimmy has value."

A different executive remarked:

"The answer is holding onto Jimmy and hoping someone doesn’t draft someone, or there is an injury, but at $24 million, no one is going to have the ability to carry that anyway. The question for the 49ers is, would you pay Jimmy a bunch of it now and try to make him more palatable? If you are Jimmy and the money is unguaranteed, how much would you take from the 49ers as a guarantee knowing you may get stuck there, and they can control your destination? Both sides have risk."

Report: Tom Brady still following 'TB12 Method' amid comeback rumors

  Report: Tom Brady still following 'TB12 Method' amid comeback rumors The new MSN, Your customizable collection of the best in news, sports, entertainment, money, weather, travel, health, and lifestyle, combined with Outlook, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, and more.

The 49ers were one successful NFC Championship offensive drive away from returning to the Super Bowl with Garoppolo under center and, apparently, can afford to keep him without sinking other offseason plans. Patience could ultimately be a virtue for San Francisco no matter the outcome of this particular situation.

Subscribe to Yardbarker's Morning Bark, the most comprehensive newsletter in sports. Customize your email to get the latest news on your favorite sports, teams and schools. Emailed daily. Always free! Sign up now ▸

More must-reads:

  • Deebo Samuel removes pictures, unfollows 49ers on social media
  • Two-time Pro Bowl RB Melvin Gordon 'in discussions' with Ravens on potential deal
  • The '2018 backup NFL quarterback' quiz

Related slideshow: The 20 best GMs in NFL history (Provided by Yardbarker)

Colts, two-time All-Pro CB Stephon Gilmore agree to two-year, $23M deal .
During his 10 seasons split between the Bills, Panthers and New England Patriots, Gilmore has made five Pro Bowl rosters and also was named the 2019 AP Defensive Player of the Year. The 31-year-old led the NFL in passes defended and tied for the lead in interceptions the year he won Defensive Player of the Year with 20 and six, respectively. Video: Pelissero explains what led to Stephon Gilmore agreeing to two-year contract with Colts (NFL) Your browser does not support this video In eight games last season, Gilmore recorded 16 tackles, two interceptions and two passes defensed.

See also