Sport: LIV CEO’s Feb. Text to Sergio Garcia: PGA’s Ban ‘Is a Shallow Threat’

Marjorie Taylor Greene says she would be honored to be Trump's 2024 running mate, video shows

  Marjorie Taylor Greene says she would be honored to be Trump's 2024 running mate, video shows Marjorie Taylor Greene said that she has a great relationship with former President Donald Trump and chats with him regularly.Source: Wall Street Journal

  LIV CEO’s Feb. Text to Sergio Garcia: PGA’s Ban ‘Is a Shallow Threat’ © Provided by Sports Illustrated

The text messages came to light as part of the lawsuit between a group of LIV players and the PGA Tour.

View the original article to see embedded media.

Earlier this week, 11 LIV Golf Invitational Series players filed a lawsuit against the PGA Tour after the PGA Tour indefinitely suspended the former members who elected to join the Saudi-backed golf venture.

The players who are represented in the lawsuit, highlighted by Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau, have their sights set on continuing to play PGA Tour events in addition to the 14 tournaments scheduled for LIV in 2023.

Charles Barkley's flirtation with LIV Golf looks like one big troll | Opinion

  Charles Barkley's flirtation with LIV Golf looks like one big troll | Opinion Maybe near-universal adoration is too comfortable for Charles Barkley, whose defiance of expectations, distaste of decorum are key to his existence.Barkley’s eagerness to go where few former stars are willing to go — regardless of whose feelings he might hurt — has made him a one-of-a-kind star on the NBA’s most important show. The moment he walks away from TNT’s pregame and halftime broadcasts — and the 59-year-old has threatened many times before that he wants to retire at 60 — it’s not an understatement to say the entire universe of basketball discourse will feel different.

While there is plenty to unpack in the lawsuit, there was an interesting exchange between LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman and former PGA Tour player and current LIV Golf member Sergio Garcia.

Text messages provided as part of the lawsuit date back to February, where Garcia checked in with Norman on the LIV Tour’s plans.

“I just wanted to see how things are going with the League [because] it seems like a lot of those guys that were loving it and excited about it last week, now are s---ing their pants,” Garcia texted Norman.

A week later, Garcia texted Norman again.

“Hi Sharky! It’s official, the Tour has told our managers this week that whoever signs with the League, is [banned] from the Tour for life! I don’t know how we are [going to] get enough good players to join the League under these conditions.”

Norman says Tiger Woods turned down $700-800M Saudi offer

  Norman says Tiger Woods turned down $700-800M Saudi offer Tiger Woods turned down an offer that Greg Norman says was "somewhere in that neighborhood” of $700 million to $800 million to take part in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series. During an appearance on Fox News with Tucker Carlson that aired Monday night, Norman confirmed what he told the Washington Post in a story two months ago. Norman told the Post in June the offer was “mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits.” Woods hasDuring an appearance on Fox News with Tucker Carlson that aired Monday night, Norman confirmed what he told the Washington Post in a story two months ago. Norman told the Post in June the offer was “mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits.

Norman wrote back telling Garcia, “They cannot ban you for one day let alone life. It is a shallow threat.”

Fast forward to June, where PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan banned 17 players from participating in Tour events after their participation in the first LIV Golf event in London.

This lawsuit isn’t ending anytime soon, and the future of golf hangs in the balance. Will LIV players be able to participate in PGA Tour events ever again? Can the two tours coexist? Will LIV players be able to play in the four major championships or receive World Golf Ranking points for participating in their own LIV Golf Tour events?

The professional game is at a crossroads, and the lawsuit between the PGA Tour and select LIV participants is likely only the beginning.

More Golf Coverage:

  • Jessica Korda’s Bad Day at Women’s Open Revealed a Lot
  • John Huh Picks the Right Time For an Opening-Round 61
  • A Temporary Restraining Order Is the First Piece of Business as LIV Golf vs. the PGA Tour Begins in Court

LIV Golf Trump Bedminster 2022 odds, picks, field: Golf expert reveals best bets, sleepers, favorites to fade .
Patrick McDonald has locked in his 2022 LIV Golf Bedminster long shots, sleepers, favorites to avoid and best betsOWINGS MILLS, MARYLAND - AUGUST 27: Bryson DeChambeau of the United States plays his shot from the second tee during the second round of the BMW Championship at Caves Valley Golf Club on August 27, 2021 in Owings Mills, Maryland.

See also