US: Hannity on attempted advertiser boycott: 'Nobody tells me what to say on my show'

Hannity mourns Ailes: ‘America lost one of its great patriotic warriors’

  Hannity mourns Ailes: ‘America lost one of its great patriotic warriors’ Fox News host Sean Hannity took to Twitter on Thursday to mourn the death of former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes. Load Error

Liberal group targets Hannity advertisers over conspiracy theory© Provided by The Hill Liberal group targets Hannity advertisers over conspiracy theory

Fox's Sean Hannity said on Wednesday that despite the loss of at least one advertiser, he isn't under pressure by Fox News management to back off a story involving baseless conspiracy rumors about the murder of Democratic National Committee (DNC) staffer Seth Rich.

"I did it out of my own heart," Hannity said in an interview with HuffPost. "Nobody tells me what to say on my show. They never have and frankly they never will."

"I'm not that type of person you can say, 'Go on air and say this.' That's been the beauty of Fox News all these years," he continued. "They leave me alone."

Seattle Times writer apologizes to Michael Bennett

  Seattle Times writer apologizes to Michael Bennett The writer who inspired Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett to boycott a local Seattle newspaper has issued an apology. Over the weekend, Matt Calkins of the Seattle Times published a feature that praised Bennett for the work he does in the community but criticized him for his “incredibly childish” behavior at times. As an example, Calkins cited the incident last postseason in which Bennett went ballistic on a reporter after a loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The reporter, Bill Wixey of Q13 Fox, is a cancer survivor.

The 55-year-old conservative and staunch supporter of President Trump also called a Media Matters of America decision to post a list of his Fox program's advertisers a "kill shot" in an attempt to take him out.

"There's nothing that I did, nothing that I said, except they don't like my position politically," he said. "They'll try to ratchet up the intensity of their rationale. It does not justify an attempt to get me fired. And that's what this is. This is an attempt to take me out. This is a kill shot."

Hannity lost one advertiser earlier in the day. Cars.com announced that it would immediately pull all advertisements from Hannity's 10 p.m. show, the announcement coming a day after the Fox host said he would stop discussing the story of Rich "for now."

Parents Of Slain DNC Staffer Call Conspiracy Theories 'Unspeakably Cruel'

  Parents Of Slain DNC Staffer Call Conspiracy Theories 'Unspeakably Cruel' Hours after Fox News retracted a conspiracy story linking murdered Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich to WikiLeaks, Rich’s parents published an op-ed blasting the conservative media and others who have peddled “baseless” theories about their son and turned his death into a “political football.” Writing in The Washington Post, Mary and Joel Rich describe the “nightmare” that has become their lives. Each day, instead of receiving news from police about a break in their son’s unsolved slaying, they are bombarded with phone calls from reporters asking about the “lies or conspiracies” being spread about him, they wrote.

"The fact that we advertise on a particular program doesn't mean that we agree or disagree, or support or oppose, the content," Cars.com said in a statement reported by BuzzFeed. "In this case, we've been watching closely and have recently made the decision to pull our advertising from Hannity."

Media Matters president Angelo Carusone told HuffPost that unlike his organization's effort to boycott advertisers of now-former Fox host Bill O'Reilly amid sexual harassment allegations, that despite posting the list his outlet isn't asking advertisers to boycott Hannity's program.

Right-wing news outlets have sought to link - without evidence - the 27-year-old Rich's death to Democrat Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and the WikiLeaks release of hacked emails from her campaign and the DNC.

"Out of respect for the family's wishes for now, I am not discussing this matter at this time," Hannity said near the top of his 10 p.m. ET program on Wednesday.

Fox Retracts, Hannity Silenced on Conspiracy About Slain DNC Staffer

  Fox Retracts, Hannity Silenced on Conspiracy About Slain DNC Staffer Fox News has retracted a story it published last week that reignited conspiracy theories around the death DNC staffer Seth Rich.Load Error

The host changed the subject, instead continuing his criticism of media outlets for covering the investigation of Trump's campaign's alleged links to Russia. Members of Trump's campaign allegedly colluded to influence the outcome of the presidential election. Hannity called the investigation of the allegations hypocritical since no evidence has linked the two.

Later in his opening monologue, Hannity appeared to indicate that he may visit the Rich story again "at the proper time."

"Please do not interpret what I'm saying tonight to mean anything," he said. "Don't read into this. I promise you, I am not going to stop doing my job. To the extent of my ability, I am not going to stop trying to find the truth."

"That effort is not stopping in any way, shape, matter and form," he continued. "I am continuing the work I promised to do for you. And at the proper time, we shall continue and talk a lot more."

A spokesman for the Rich family said in a statement that they were grateful for Hannity for "respecting their wishes."

Paris Agreement on climate change: Pence says Trump 'fighting for American jobs' .
Vice President Mike Pence praised President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, telling Fox News' "Hannity" Thursday that the president was "fighting for American jobs."Vice President Mike Pence praised President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, telling Fox News' "Hannity" Thursday that the president was "fighting for American jobs.

See also